The Tube is the subway of London. Here is some trivia about it.
- There is only one Tube station name which does not have any letters of the word “mackerel” in it – St. John Wood
- There are only 2 Tube stations which have all the vowels(not counting y)- South Ealing and Mansion House
- There used to be a station called British Museum between Tottenham Court Road and Holborn. It closed down a while ago and hasn’t been used since.
- Angel station has the longest escalator in Europe. Once somebody skied down it 2006 and posted the video on Youtube.
- Out of the 287 stations, only 29 are south of the river Thames.
- The Central line covers the most distance. From West Ruislip to Epping with out changing is 34 miles.
- The Waterloo and City line is the shortest, covering only 2 kilometers.
- The Tube carrys passengers over 43 million miles each day. That is almost half way to the sun.
- Green grapes cause more accidents on the London Underground than banana skins.
- Whitechapel is the only place on the network where the Overground runs below the Underground.
- Stockwell is the southernmost London underground station that serves more than one line.
- Pimlico station is the only station on the Victoria line not to have an interchange with any other tube/rail line.
- Victoria station is the busiest in London, with over 80 million passengers a year.
- Kensal Green station looks like a barn.
- The only station you have to go UP steps to get to the trains/platforms is Hillingdon.
- Brompton Road (now disused) on the Piccadilly, Line was apparently used as a control room for anti-aircraft guns.
- There is a mosquito named after the Tube – the London Underground mosquito, which was found in the London Underground. It was notable for its assault of Londoners sleeping in the Underground during the Blitz.